Saturday 20 February 2016

Richard Herring is the unfunniest comedian I've seen this year

But by some strange Schrodingian quirk of logic, he's also the funniest I've seen this year. I think I need to see at least one more comedian so I can start a proper comparison.

He's currently touring with his new show, "Happy Now?" which discusses whether he's happier now he is married with a child, or whether he was happier in his carefree single days. I laughed like a drain, it was a great evening. Herring is a clever comedian who tells stories that demand a degree of intelligence from his audience. Much of the fun is from us filling in the gaps, not him spoon feeding laughs.

Herring is known for his work with Stewart Lee - "Fist of Fun", "This Morning with Richard not Judy" in the 80's and 90's. He also wrote for Armando Iannucci, Chris Morris, and Al "Pub Landlord" Murray.


More recently he has been writing a daily blog - 4,000 consecutive days without a break - playing himself at snooker (and recording a commentary), and his really successful RHLSTP (Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast) in which he interviews comedians and actors. It's really good and features regular items like the emergency question - "what would you rather have, a hand made of ham, or an armpit that dispenses suncream. Seek it our on iTunes, it's free and really interesting.


Then we went home and I had the strangest experience of the day. I was lying on the bed, partially clothed, when Poussey arrived, had a mooch around and then leaned over and bit my nipple. Not quite sure who was most surprised but my howl of pain sent the two moggies hurtling out of the room and down the stairs. No sign of an apology thus far.

No comments: