Friday 19 February 2016

Jump Start

Drawing back the curtains yesterday morning revealed a beautiful clear sunny day, and ice on the car. For a split second I thought about abandoning my regular ride, but then I could see that while the car was icy the road wasn't and it would be pathetic to do so.

And I'm very glad I didn't. The roads were fine, and the ride was great. I felt quite strong and enjoyed myself in the sun.



Gel tried to start her car the other day and found the battery was flat. Not a great surprise since she last drove it before Christmas, but I didn't have any jump leads and after my ride decided it was a good time to go and source some.

I went to our local Halfords, picked some leads, and at the till was asked if I wanted to provide my eMail so they could send me an electronic receipt. They promised that they wouldn't use the eMail to bombard me with spam. This seemed sensible. Why waste paper which I'd very likely lose, so I gave them the address. The assistant completed the transaction on the till and then gave me a paper receipt......which did rather seem to nullify the eMail receipt....

I watched the first half of United's Europa League tie in Denmark, and then went out for a lovely curry with some workmates at The Tiffin Room in Cheadle, which I can heartily recommend. It was there I learned that we'd been beat. What a season. What a pants season. Poor old LvG seems like a dead man walking. 


--

Copper shortage

These ladies were working in the Victorian Kitchen at Attingham Park. They use whatever produce is brought to them and on this day were finding uses for tons of celeriac. The pies in front of the picture are salt dough, and so not for eating. 

Looking at this picture, I was impressed by the enormous amount of copper on display. Must be a bugger to keep polished.


No comments: