Monday 14 March 2016

I had a little nut tree, nothing would it bear

But a silver nutmeg, and a golden pear.

I'm sure my mother used to sing that to me as a baby. I only recall it now because I was out for my morning constitutional (I alternate between walking and riding, and my hips are barking) and I saw a Nuthatch skipping between the trees ahead of me.

I do love Nuthatches, like little masked highwaymen.

--

There are 115,000 post boxes in the UK. There must be very few VR (Victoria Regina) boxes still being used.

The picture below shows a wall-mounted box - the first of the wall mounted design were erected in 1857 in Shrewsbury and Market Drayton. This one is in Chorley just outside Wilmslow (not to be confused with Chorley near Bolton). This design is a version of the second iteration with a rain hood to protect the mail from the inclement British weather. The full second design had a pedimented top, also to clear the rain. As you can see here, this has a flat top.


So today's wander gave me a Nuthatch and a Victorian wall-mounted post box.

#livingthedream

No comments: