Thursday 14 April 2016

Nick Lowe



One of the names you might have noticed on that list yesterday, was that of Nick Lowe. I have seen him thrice now, as on two of those Elvis Costello shows he was the support. I thought I might share a bit about some of the names on yesterday's list. How would you feel when someone you like so much forgets the words of the first verse of the first song of his first gig in Manchester for 20 years? One of your favourite songs?

I became aware of Nick Lowe in the late 1970's as a producer of a large number of Stiff Records records including those of the early Elvis Costello. Before that, he'd already had a bit of a career, first with Kippington Lodge, and then with a greater profile as a member of Brinsley Schwarz, a group the record company were convinced were going to take over the world. They didn't.

As well as a producer in the late 70's he was a member of Rockpile from 1975 with Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner (no, not that one), and Terry Williams. Although the band were around for a while - I saw them supporting Elvis Costello in 1980 - and the members produced their own solo albums, the groups itself only ever issued one, "Seconds of Pleasure". I seem to remember that it was claimed that the complexity of the contracts the individual members had with other record companies made it difficult for them to produce a "Rockpile" album.

In the summer of 1978, I briefly worked, washing up, in the kitchen of the Steak and Kebab House in Didsbury. After my first shift, I took the unheard of sum of £7.50 (may pay for one shift) to my favourite record shop in Stockport (I can't now remember its name, but they gave the records to you in a plastic bag with Laurel and Hardy on the front) and spent the afternoon browsing through their stock before settling on "Jesus of Cool" by Nick Lowe (not unexpectedly the record company had to change the records name for US issue and settled on "Pure Pop for Now People"). LPs cost £2.99 or up to £3.14 depending on the record company issuing it. I'm not sure exactly how much I paid.

It was, and still is, fantastic. In fact I think I might still have it up in the attic. I Love The Sound of Breaking Glass, Little Hitler, So It Goes and the wonderful "Marie Provost" about a silent film star eaten by her dog after taking her own life.

Lowe describes himself, adjusting the James Brown quote, as "the least hard working person in rock and roll" so I haven't seen him nearly as much as I'd like.

The last time was a solo gig at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester which was notable not only for his first gig in Manchester for 20 years, but he opened with one of my favourite songs of his, "What's Shakin' on the Hill". Unfortunately he forgot the words half way through the first verse.....he recovered and the rest of the concert was a blast. I'd love to see him again, but don't want another twenty year wait! If you're reading this Nick, let's get some dates sorted.

No comments: