Monday 28 September 2015

This is a blog user ID I set up donkeys years ago and failed to do anything with. What a great idea to restart it and do more nothing with it.

Anyway, Rupert Ritzik was a character from the Sgt Bilko Show, if you were wondering.

This week is the week that I start my chemo treatment and many people have asked me to let them know how it's going. Makes sense to do this using a blog. Maybe it will make me more disciplined about updating the stupid thing. We'll see.

I would warn you that not everything is going to relate directly to the treatment. So you may need to plough through reams and reams of nonsense before you get anything vaguely useful. I'd also caution you against thinking you'll find the meaning of life here too. If I knew what it was I'd serialise it in the daily mail.

So what's been happening today?

Well the paper was delivered. Not momentous you may think. If you ignore the BBC and the NHS, one of the things I think is civilised about this country is the delivery of a daily newspaper, and the delivery of milk, to our doorstep. Our newspaper delivery, however, has been particularly pants over the last few months. Very erratic. It got so bad that on Saturday I went to the paper shop and cancelled the delivery.

Of course it's quite timely that I'll be at home for the next few months so I can add collecting the newspaper into my daily routine.

When I came back from the paper shop and told Gel I'd canned the delivery, I jokingly said that I expected to see the paper in the porch on Monday.....and there it was. I now have further evidence - if I needed it - that they are proper hopeless.

Having taken the paper back to the shop, I set off on a morning bike ride. The first 100 yards along the new tarmac on Chapel Lane. They spent Saturday scraping the old stuff off, and Sunday laying some lovely new smooth black top.

Then out along the country lanes of North Cheshire. Round the outside of Tatton Park, through Knutsford, up towards Holmes Chapel but veering off just before and hurtling through Goostrey, past the magnificent Lovell Radio Telescope at Jodrell Bank, past Clonter Opera, the birds at Redesmere, Alderly Edge and home. 35.27 miles. 2158 calories burned (although a large flapjack probably replaced much of that).

It was a beautiful warm, sunny autumn morning. A real treasure.

Out by Goostrey I came across this fellow sitting on the tarmac at the side of the road.


He seemed stunned - didn't object too much to me picking him up - and didn't seem to have any obvious injuries so I guess he might have been hit by a car and was, literally, just a bit stunned.

He was in danger of being squished where he was sitting so I moved him (her?) into what I thought was a safer location. I hope it was just a bit stunned and is now safely returned to it's Monday.

I've wandered into town after my ride and will collect the rest of the ingredients for a beef stew and dumplings.

I'm hoping to get out for another ride tomorrow morning, and there ought to be a special magic number to report on......that's a teaser to make you come back tomorrow and read more of this nonsense.


No comments: