Wednesday 30 September 2015

"A house is not a home without a cat"

How I wish I'd remembered that quote when I was preparing yesterday's blog. It was said to me by my Mother-in-law, Bridie. It's wonderful.

So, and I hope this doesn't disappoint too many of you, but there is no cycling element to today's blog.

Later on this afternoon, I will be visiting the Christie to have my bloods assessed and to have a conversation with the doctor in charge of the chemo clinic about what to expect over the next few months. Although I had initially thought I might go for a spin, it then seemed silly to (potentially) get over tired.

I have taken my first dexamethasone, which is designed to alleviate side effects of the chemo, and I can say that one hour in, I've suffered no side effects from the dexa, so things are looking good.....

So, what to expect? Well I'm not a great fan of needles and I expect to see a wide range of sizes and styles over the next few months (needles, canulas etc). Luckily I have "good veins". At least that's what most of the health professionals I've encountered have told me. Less digging around I guess.

I'm generally phlegmatic about needles. A necessary evil, and as long as I don't watch it going in I'm fine. Most of the people inserting these things are so practiced you tend not to realise it's in (*hope I don't get a trainee doctor...).

I understand that sickness drugs are very good these days, and so being physically sick is something I hope to avoid.

I expect to be tired, but I am keen to understand how long this will last, and whether I can - and whether it is advisable - to push myself when I'm feeling tired, or whether to give in and wait for it to pass. One thing I'm keen to try and do, is get up and dressed and ready for the day, even if that day consists of lying around watching playoff baseball (Go Yankees!).

Hair loss is a given, but will it go straight away of after a few cycles? Since I have a large collection of baseball hats, and to be honest I don't have that much hair anyway, this won't be the worst thing. You always notice missing eyebrows, so perhaps I should persuade Pheebs to draw some in for me.

This is me pre-chemo.



...and it has just occurred to me that I'll be beardless for the first time in a while too. Perhaps that will be the oddest thing for many people who've never known me without.

I fancy finding a hat that isn't a baseball hat. I've always hankered after a hat in the style of Popeye Doyle from the French Connection...."Did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?"


Today, Gel and I are going to create list of things to do over the next few months. This list is going to be things of all sorts and kinds. A list of practical sensible things it would be irresponsible not to do, e.g. sort out our shared office space, and some trivial but fun things, e.g. feeding the ducks at Redesmere. I'm looking forward to creating the list, and to working my way through it.

Stew Update:

Yesterday's stew was complimented very well with a packet of quinoa and brown rice, and, like many dishes, seemed to improve by standing for 24 hours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope the trip to the clinic today was helpful in understanding your questions.

I think Popeye hat would suit you - look forward to seeing you model one.

Simon Fisher said...

The women in Poughkeepsie take their clothes off when they're tipsy. (Elvis Costello, Sulphur To Sugarcane).

I'll read the rest of the blog now...just thought you needed to know this.